Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Spirit Of The War


The place that I've chosen to pull my information is from chapter 4 of " The Defenders" by Ann McGovern. The book covers the struggle of two different tribes that both fought for their resources against the U.S. government. I am of course using the Seminole section of the book, for that is the issue that I am discussing.
"The Spirit Of The War" is not only the name of my chapter but also the nickname given to chief Osceola during the war. When the fighting first erupted he wasn't an actual chief, but all of the other chiefs still looked up to him due to his wisdom beyond his years. " We must use the cunning of the fox, the swiftness of the snake, to fight the wolves!" ( McGovern 19), is one of the many things Osceola said to the other members of the Seminole tribe to convince them to stay and fight, rather than give in and move to Oklahoma.

McGovern, Ann. The Defenders. New York: Scholastic, 1970. 19. Print.

1 comment: