Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Defenders


The Defenders by Ann McGovern

This book tells about the Seminoles struggle against Andrew Jackson and the many generals that he sent to fight eliminate them. It discusses the various battles and skirmishes that the Seminoles had to fight through to be free. Osceola is the main character, the chief of the Seminole tribe. It tells about how he was the "Spirit of War" and spurred the Seminoles on to fight against the American government during the 7 years war. There are still some Seminoles that remain in Florida today on the same land that their ancestors did.

One main reason that I don't like this book is because it talks about two other Native American struggles. I want a book about only the Seminoles not the various other struggles that went on during the late 1800's. It not only talks about Osceola but also Tecumseh and Cochise. All of these leaders fought for freedom but Ive got Seminole blood in me and I prefer to learn about them more.

It was very short. I was want to learn more about the Seminole nation as a people, and this novel was too short to achieve that in my opinion. The pictures in the chapters helped me understand what some of the actual battles where like. They were green though so it sorta killed it.


McGovern, Ann. The Defenders. New York: Scholastic Books, 1970.

1 comment: